Tuesday 9 November 2010

~ Simple Living ~



Inspired by this lovely post, I thought I'd share some of the things we do to live simply.
The image above has been how our evenings have looked for the past week as we cosy~in now the colder and darker nights are with us. 

Our home is filled with gifts from nature ~ feathers, stones, shells, bones, driftwood, fir cones, empty nests ~ each one a reminder of happy days spent outdoors in woods and fields, on beaches and hillsides with not a penny spent on these riches. Home made gifts of art made by friends adorn our walls, hold our candles, keep us warm, tell us the time, making us think with gladness of people who are dear to us each time our eyes alight on these precious items. Our own art reminds us of the flow of creativity so important to us. The (sooo many!) books we love snuggle closely to one another in wooden cheese boxes that line the walls of our rooms.

Living simply means we take time to appreciate the things that are important to us, enjoy each moment ~ as Brooke said ~ "slow down"

We chose many years ago not to have a television, and recently, we have chosen to be without a car too. We are not sure if we will be able to keep to that one though! A motorbike might find its way to us ~ before Jac was born that was what we enjoyed. We were rather a funny sight towards the end of my pregnancy, (I was huge in the front), when My Man was pushed up onto the petrol tank and I was as far back as I could go without falling off and Our Boy taking up all the rest of the seat. Or then, another camper van could enter our lives and we will go off on Bohemian adventures once more :~) Whatever life brings though, we will take it slow and simple. 

7 comments:

  1. Such a warm inviting place to curl up!! I can imagine your joy to be there..
    Oh yes Simple living... Nothing better than seeing the wonder of what is right in front of us...

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of those books are just calling out to be read in your charming cozy nook. Slow and simple - superb!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully shared ~ and that list of natural things makes me smile. I wanted to show you what I found once (and still have, actually: the picture is here:) http://www.flickr.com/photos/brookeschmidt/4524207350/in/set-72157623128350337/

    ...and I look forward to looking around your beckoning space here. :)

    brooke

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds so lovely and idyllic and looks so cosy. Nothing better than being surround by gifts from nature and treasures by the hands of loved ones.
    Gxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, thank you for the lovely reminder to slow down and cozy on up at home. I especially need to hear the "slowing down" part ... I tend to begin moving quickly without even realizing it sometimes, though I'm becoming better at it, I think.

    Your home looks lovely and so very welcoming ... very much like your blog :).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for your kind words. It is so good to meet people who get the same joy from living simply.

    Blessed be x

    ReplyDelete